Friday, January 1, 2010

Counting Down the Days

...

It's January 1st... and the little guy is still comfy inside my belly. No New Year's Baby or 2009 tax break for us. :P He hasn't dropped yet and probably won't come until close to his estimated due date of January 10th.

I've had two more appointments since my last entry on here. At my last appointment, the doctor checked my cervix and... OUCH! That frickin' HURT! I knew that they did a finger measurement, but I had no idea that he was going to use so much pressure. I swear it felt like he was trying to dig the baby out himself! He didn't give me any kind of a warning that it might hurt or even that there would be pressure until I was already crying out in pain! No efforts to tell me to try to relax and breathe or anything. Hmpf. Nor did he warn me that I might spot a little bit (or for the remainder of the night!) afterwards. I had to do my own "research" on the internet to find out whether or not the whole thing was even remotely normal. Sigh. Well, at least that's over for this week. I'm assuming that they'll be doing that again each time until the baby comes. Hopefully the baby will start dropping and my cervix will soften up so that the check isn't so painful next week! And hopefully the baby arrives on time and not PAST his due date. (Or at least not TOO far past it.)

Aside from that, everything's going alright. I'm STILL getting sick periodically and experiencing heartburn like crazy, but (surprisingly) my fluid levels are up. My blood pressure's normal as is baby's heartbeat, and he's moving around good and doing his "practice breathing". He still doesn't want to show us his face and keeps hiding it with his hands whenever the ultrasound woman tries to get a picture for us. He's been stubborn (shy?) all along, though, so it's really no surprise. It'd just be nice to see a good, clear picture of his face. I guess we'll just have to wait until he's born to truly see him.

I'm starting to get nervous about going into labor. I've read and heard a lot of birth stories, but I know there's really no way to truly be prepared for the intensity of it all. I've always had a pretty high tolerance for pain and am determined to give birth naturally (no epidural or drugs), but I also know that childbirth is a completely different kind of pain than anything I've ever experienced. Everyone says that once your little one is here, you start forgetting all about the pain and just focus on the new life in front of you. I'm sure that's true, but knowing that still doesn't make the pain go away while it's happening! At least I'll have Dave there with me and have my mom around for support, too. I can't imagine going through this alone.

I want my little sunshine here already, but then I'm so nervous about lies ahead. The first few days... the first weeks... the first months... the first year. I have no idea what's going to happen as far as going back to work, Dave finding a job, staying in O'Fallon or moving down to Carbondale, my dad coming back to live in March or April. There's always uncertainty in Life, and there's always increased uncertainty when a new life is on the way... but it seems so much worse with the situation Dave and I are in right now.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment