The day after I wrote my last blog was my last doctor's appointment. At my appointment, the ultrasound tech noted my fluid levels had dropped dramatically again and told us that the doctor would probably want to induce me by the end of the week. After 40 long weeks and tons and tons of "morning sickness", I was VERY glad to hear this. We figured we had a few more days to get some more stuff done around the house before it was time... but that was just wishful thinking. After the ultrasound, we waited for the doctor. She walked in and asked, "So, are you guys ready to have a baby?" She told us to get over to the hospital as soon as we were ready; they would induce me that night. We weren't expecting that in the least. Nervousness and excitement set in, and we drove home calling or texting everyone we could.
My mom met us at the house and drove with us to the hospital. I was induced at 6pm (on January 11th) and was told that they would give me Pitocin at 6 o'clock the next morning to get the contractions going or to help them move along. Dave left shortly afterwards to come home and let the dogs out and to pick up a few things we had left behind. My contractions kicked in around 8:30 or 9. Dave returned around that time, and my mom left for the night. I dealt with the pain of the contractions for about two hours as they intensified more and more. After that long, I couldn't take it anymore and asked for the Stadol. Once the nurse injected that into my IV, I was in heaven and felt nothing... for about an hour. I guess my heart rate and the baby's heart rate dropped during that time, so they couldn't give me any more until things normalized. They finally came back to check about an hour and a half later, but by that time (around 3am)... it was time to start pushing. I squeezed Dave's hand to death to help get through the pain of each contraction until the doctor had me hold onto my legs instead. :P After about an hour of pain and pushing and labored breathing, Jacob Matthew made his entrance into the world.
He was born on January 12th at 4:20am, weighed 6lbs 6oz, and was 19 inches long. Blue eyes, blond/light brown hair. Dave was there through everything and said it was "the most horrifying but the most beautiful thing" he's ever experienced. :P He says he now has a much deeper respect for women (mothers) than he ever did before.
We signed out of the hospital the following day and have been enjoying every minute with our teeny little guy. I had to go out the other day and buy some Preemie-sized outfits because he's just swimming in the Newborn and 0-3month sized clothes that we have. He's SO little! But the pants for the preemie outfits are a little too snug! There's just not a perfect size for 6lb. babies. :/
We had some issues with breastfeeding, and I had to give him formula for a day or two. :( I really hated doing that, but the poor little guy needed nutrition SOMEhow. After seeing how easy it was to get milk from a bottle, though, Jacob hasn't wanted anything to do with breastfeeding. I mean, I guess why "work" for food (use your strength and muscles to suck) when you have access to something that will almost just pour it down your throat with just the tiniest sip? :( I'm pumping as often as I can and supplementing with formula. I'm still trying to get him to breastfeed for a while before giving him his bottle, but it doesn't seem to be working. Hopefully I can get some help from a lactation consultant, but I'm not feeling too confident that he'll get back into the swing of things.
He ended up becoming jaundiced a few days after coming home due to not eating often enough and not eating enough at each feeding. He had to have his bilirubin levels checked three times already (they draw blood from his heels) by his tenth day of life. The levels have finally dropped to a decent level, but they're still not perfect as he's still not eating much compared to how much babies are *supposed* to eat. Hopefully we'll get there soon, though.
He's such a cutie... Dave and I are both so in love with him. It's amazing to think back on my pregnancy and realize that he's HERE now... and to think about what lies ahead over the next twenty years. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment