Sunday, August 9, 2009

Time Keeps Ticking Away



Summer's almost over. :( How can August be here already?

Well, I only have two more free days after today before school starts up again. I'm glad that I had the summer to lay around and do nothing but be sick, but I'm frustrated that that's how I spent practically my ENTIRE summer. No road trips. No trips to the park. I made a trip or two to Carbondale to visit Dave and some friends, but for the most part... I ended up spending just about every day feeling nauseous and/or getting sick. I couldn't even stand moving around enough to take the dogs for a walk. When it's been hot, I haven't even been able to tolerate just standing outside to throw Buddha the ball. Sigh.

So, I spent a lot of time reading. I've probably read more just this summer than I have for the past three or four years combined. (Sad, I know.) I should have checked out some newer stuff or some "classics" from the library, but I wasn't organized or motivated enough to do that. Instead, I just read a few books that Dave and I have had in our collections for a while now. Nothing fantastic. I think I probably enjoyed "Midwives" by Chris Bohjalian the most. It's the story of a midwife in Vermont and the events that lead up to her trial on charges of manslaughter (of a woman under her care). I've had this book for years and started reading it several times, but now I'm finally done. Good story.

I'm nervous about starting work and still having dizzy spells and nausea/sickness that comes out of the blue. Lots of women work throughout their pregnancy despite everything, though, so I guess I just need to "buck up" and get used to the idea. Maybe my little guys' work station will be right next to the bathroom again this year so I won't have far to go if the "sickies" decide to attack without notice.

I went to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods this weekend and stocked up a little on snacks and lunch foods for work. I bought some noodle bowls, a frozen meal dish, some hummus and mini pita breads, mini bagels and Tofutti cream cheese, vegan jerky, soy yogurts, and a few nutrition bars among other things. I should probably cook up some chick'n and veggie soup tonight so that I can have some additional homemade stuff to freeze for lunches as the weeks go by. In the freezer right now, I just have one dish of veg. chili, a couple bowls of frozen rotini noodles (to add beans, kale, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar or whatever to when the day comes to bring it in for lunch), and three or four small dishes of vegetable pilaf (to have along with a veggie burger or chick'n patty or something). I'm still at the point right now, though, of having food aversions. What sounds good one day may not sound good the next. I guess I'll just have to bring in a few things - along with some snack foods - and store them in our room (we have a fridge in there) so that I'll have a few options from which to choose each day. Everyone always fills up the freezer with their WeightWatchers or Lean Cuisine meals, so maybe if I'm on top of it on the first day there'll actually be room for my stuff, too. :P

The possible gender-determining ultrasound is just days away... five to be exact. Fingers crossed that the little one will actually let us see it's nether-regions... and that it's a girl. ;)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment