August 5, 2011
I never knew it could start so early, but somewhere around fourteen or fifteen months, Jacob learned that he could stall bedtime by asking for a series of things that he knew by name or sign. He’d ask for another book… a drink of milk or water… or tell me that he had to go potty. Or he’d just start babbling trying to get me to talk about his favorite things or exciting things that happened that day. At first, I gave into his requests - happy that he was communicating more and more. When it became apparent that it was becoming a nightly ritual, I started incorporating each thing into our nighttime routine to prevent any uncertainty as to whether he actually needed those things or not (drink, potty). Since then it hasn’t been much of an issue (and I haven’t been doing all of those things consistently for a few weeks now, save for pottying), but it was amazing seeing how young all of that can begin!
Apparently stalling (trying to figure out how to get his way) sets the stage for the “Terrible Twos”.
Our little guy is really starting to test his boundaries these days. Not listening… looking at us when he’s doing something he’s not supposed to be doing (to see if we’re watching and get a reaction)… getting our attention to show us that he’s doing something that he’s not supposed to be doing… fussing, screeching and/or crying when he doesn’t get his way or when we remind him that he’s not supposed to be doing something. :P It’s pretty funny to see but not so fun to actually have to deal with all day long. And then there’s his “Pull… pull… pull” all day long as he says that and tugs on my pant leg trying to get me to come with him - usually for nothing more than to sit with him to play (after just getting up from sitting with him for an hour straight!) or to show me something that we’ve already talked about a zillion times that day. Argh! I’ve taught him to say “Come here” (“Teere… Teere”) instead of “pull”, so at least it *sounds* nicer. :P We just need a maid and a chef to do everything that I need to do so that I can devote my time to playing with Jacob instead. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment