August 14, 2011
Pottying was going fantastic once I was out of school (work) for the summer. I’ve heard/read that cloth diapered babies generally catch on to pottying quite a bit sooner than babies diapered in disposables because they can actually feel the wetness since cloth diapers don’t magically absorb the pee instantly like chemical-laden disposables ones do. At just seventeen months old, J~ was down to only two accidents during the day on most days and even had a few dry-all-day days after just a week or two of working on it all day long. And even when he had “accidents”, it was typically that he had just started to go a little, realized/felt what was happening, came to tell us “paaah” (his word for “potty”), and finished going in his potty. I was so proud of him and really felt good about my efforts in making a go of it.
Unfortunately, moving really threw things off. I knew to expect a decrease in his consistency for a while after a change, but I didn’t realize how bad it could get and for how long. We have yet to have an all-dry day here, and Jacob typically has accidents at least five or six times each day. Most times, J~ will wet himself just minutes after he’s gently shaken his head and answered, “Nooo”, when we ask him if he has to go or when he’s gotten off of his toilet from us trying to get him to go. It’s so frustrating, but I guess I just have to keep reminding myself that he’s still really just a baby still. Most kids don’t even start making the connection - and most parents don’t even start trying to *attempt* pottying their little ones - until they’re at least two. Thankfully, he’s very consistent with letting us know that he has to potty for the “big stuff”. ;P Hopefully that doesn’t start diminishing over time!
August 27, 2011
Well, I may have “spoken” too soon. Over the past few days, J~’s had a few “big stuff” accidents. I think they all happened when he was playing in his room and then came out to let us know that the deed was done (by saying, “Eeeew” and patting his pants). Sigh. Everything’s just hit-and-miss these days. Sometimes he’ll agree that he has to go and go into the bathroom with us happily. He pees and gets all kinds of praise. Or he at least tries to go and gets praise for trying. Other times he’ll say “no” and start fussing if we try to take him… so we back off and let him resume whatever he was doing. I know it’ll click in one of these days (months/years). It’s just tiring knowing how close he was before the move.
No comments:
Post a Comment