Friday, March 19, 2010

Time, Time Tickin' Away


Last Friday, Jacob turned two months old. Every day I find myself amazed that just three months ago I was still suffering from morning sickness and heartburn and had this little life inside my stomach. And every day I find it impossible to believe that this tiny little guy is going to grow into a teenager before I know it. I went to a thrift store today and realized that I will never be looking for newborn or 0-3 month sized clothes again. We're on to the next size up and will just keep growing and growing. I can't wait for Jakey to hit certain milestones, but (like most moms) I'm not ready to lose the "baby" in my baby. It's all bittersweet.

Sigh.

So...

The soy formula seems to be working wonderfully! Jacob almost seems like a different baby these past few days. He's so much happier and much more playful - smiling, laughing, and making cute little noises and expressions throughout the day. He's so much more content and relaxed. No more screaming and turning beet red just to pass gas off and on all day and all night. I feel so bad that he had to suffer through so many weeks of pain before we figured this out and made the switch. He could have been a happy baby from Week One if I had just stuck with my gut instinct and done a little more research on baby formulas. Anyway... there's no point in stressing about that now, right? Hopefully we've found the "cure" and Jacob will continue to blossom and show us his true self in the weeks and months to come.

He's still not sleeping much longer during the night - maybe four-and-a-half or five hours tops. I'm hoping that'll change once his system becomes accustomed to the soy formula. His pediatrician gave us a ratio to safely combine his formula to get more calories per serving, so maybe giving him a feeding of one of these servings at his last evening/late night feedings will help him sleep more. Although, that doesn't seem to be the case during the day as far as the higher-calorie servings allowing him to take longer naps. Hmpf. All we can do is wait it out and hope that he starts drinking more soon. He's finally up to drinking a little over three ounces at some feedings, but most babies his age are already drinking five or six (or more!) ounces at a time!

After my mom's success with bathing Jacob in his tub without the sling/hammock attachment, I tried it here a few days later... and we had a happy bath, too! All he wanted/needed was to be more submerged in the water. The sling attachment - which I had originally thought would be a great way to ease him into the idea of baths - was actually the cause of his discontent. Oy. So Bath Time is now a happy time... until it's time to wash his hair and then get out of the water!

This past Saturday (the 13th), Jacob went on his first road trip. We headed down to Carbondale to visit with some of our friends who we haven't seen since before Jake was born. As usual, he slept most of the way down there and then was so overstimulated that he slept (or fussed and tried to sleep) through most of the visit. I really wasn't expecting to see so many people myself, but everyone ended up over at Pops' apartment throughout the afternoon and evening. There must have been about sixteen kids and adults including Pops.

Over the past few days, Jake's discovered his hands. He's been sucking on his fingers or his knuckles - sometimes when he's content and other times as a way of consoling himself. He's also been taking hold of one of my fingers and leading it into his mouth to suck on when we're playing or just hanging out "talking" on the couch. It's so cute.

His baby acne has come back a little, but it's not too bad. It's much less prominent than it was before. Hopefully it'll go away over the next few weeks.

That's about all I can think of for now as far as his health, progress, and recent excitement. Jacob gets to meet his second of three grandpas next month. My dad will be moving up here for his six-month summer stay, so they'll get to spend a lot of time together. I'm really hoping that either we'll be able to fly out and visit his grandparents and aunt on the east coast one of these years soon or that they'll be able to come out to visit us. I want him to meet as many of his family members as possible... and I want to meet them, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment