Thursday, March 18, 2010

My Teeny Little Superguy


Jacob had his two-month appointment today with his pediatrician.
He's now up to 8 pounds, 10 ounces and is 21 1/2 inches long (I think). He's growing, but he's following his own curve and is still not quite "on the charts". I keep hoping that one of these days he'll hit a growth spurt and start eating like crazy, but I don't think that's going to happen. He'll just be my teeny little superguy. Dave and I were both about the same weight when we were born as Jacob was when he was born, so he probably just has our "small genes". I don't think anyone in Dave's family is/was very tall, and I still swear that I was adopted since everyone else in my family are giants compared to me. Anyway... he got two shots today (one on each leg - see bandages in the picture poking out beneath his onesie) and one immunization in liquid form. He cried a bit after each shot, but he handled it much better than last time.

We've switched over to soy formula 100% now. Today was the first day Jacob's bottles were full soy and no dairy, so hopefully the magic will start and his gas issues will resolve themselves for good over the next week or so. Maybe since I'm vegan and hence didn't have any dairy during my pregnancy, Jacob's system simply can't tolerate dairy well since he never had any in utero. That's my guess. I would have started him on soy formula from the beginning, but I swear I had read that ALL baby formulas had milk/whey in them. Oh well. Now I know. If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to do. Jake's pediatrician didn't seem to have any other answers, either, aside from what we've already tried (the gas drops, gripe water, and the previous type of formula).

I have a few more update-y things to mention, but I'll have to save those for tomorrow or the next day. Jacob finished his bottle and has been sitting up (propped up asleep) long enough to lay back down. Time to get back to bed for a couple more hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment