.
Me and the little chickadee... yesterday... at 28 weeks, 6 days
Is it wrong to call a boy a "chickadee"?
I went in for another appointment this past Thursday. I'm up to twice-a-month appointments now. Generally this would have been just another "nothing" appointment (weight, urine sample, blood pressure, heartbeat check of the baby, tummy measurement), but I needed to have my placenta checked to see if it had moved and also had to do the glucose screen to make sure that I haven't developed gestational diabetes. No one told me to request the drink for the glucose test as soon as I got there, so the lab woman was a little peeved when I told her that I hadn't taken it yet at 11:30.
You're supposed to fast beginning at midnight the night before the test, so I hadn't eaten anything all day and it was already lunch time. The lab tech asked if I could come back in thirty minutes since she was scheduled to break for lunch, but I told her that I had only scheduled a half-day off from work. I told her that no one had instructed me to come in and ask for the drink, but that if I had no other choice than to come back that I guessed I would do so. She grumbled a bit about having to miss her lunch and placed the drink on the counter, "Go ahead." So I chugged it down (not too bad... kinda like orange soda or a highly sweetened orange Kool-Aid) and then had to wait in the lobby for an hour before she called me back to draw my blood. For as many times as she draws blood each day, she's pretty crappy at her job. Granted it was a little more difficult to find a vein this time since I hadn't eaten or drinken anything, but she had to poke me like three or four times to find a spot. I've ended up with bruises all over my inner elbow before from this woman in the past as have my co-workers who see the same OB/GYN. She said that I would definitely get a call the next day if the bloodwork came back positive for GD. I didn't get a call, so I'm assuming that I'm fine. I guess I'll find out for sure at my next appointment in two weeks. I love the professionalism of businesses these days.
Oh, my placenta moved a good 6cm out of the way, so everything should be good to go for a regular vaginal delivery as long as nothing else pops up before it's time.
I'm getting so impatient to set up the little guy's room. Sara, the teacher whose class I work in, dropped off her son's crib this week. He's two years old now and has a toddler bed, so she's letting me have his crib. Her and her husband have been trying for baby #2 for a while, so if that ends up happening, I'll pass the crib back to her if she still needs it when our little man outgrows it. Otherwise, she said to just pass it on to someone else.
I used the gift card my
Anyway, I have to wait for Dave to come up for a few days again so he can maybe move my dad's desk and computer out of there so we have room for the changing table and a bookcase. I really don't like the idea of an office/baby room. I really wasn't planning on being here with the baby at all, but sometimes life forces you down a different path than you intend.
I have a lot to do before the baby comes, but I still have a lot of time. Ten weeks doesn't sound like a very long time, but when you think of it in terms of months... two-and-a-half months seems like forEVER. Especially when you've already been pregnant and dealing with all of the loveliness that accompanies that for the past six months - the morning sickness, the peeing when you cough or sneeze, congestion that comes out of nowhere, sleepless nights, bizarre dreams, the odd cramps, and so on. Granted not everyone has all of these symptoms (and some have a lot more and a lot worse), but that's what it's been for me... and I'm already ready for it to be over with and to have my little one in my arms. I have no idea what life's going to be like afterwards - work, insurance, child care, etc. -, but I'm just tired of waiting!
No comments:
Post a Comment