Friday was my second "nothing" appointment since the ultrasound. They took my weight and blood pressure, listened to the baby's heartbeat, and measured me again. The doctor said the baby seems to be measuring normal and that his heart rate is great... but that they found some white blood cells and protein in my urine.
Apparently I possibly have a bladder infection?? I had no clue. I've never had one before and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Anyway, he prescribed me something that's supposedly safe for the baby (which I still need to drop of the prescription for somewhere to have filled... oops) and said they'd call me on Monday with a definite answer. I guess they have to send the sample of to a lab or something. *shrug* Aside from that, everything's good.
I have another appointment in two weeks to get tested (blood drawn) for gestational diabetes and for them to check on my placenta previa. They said it was only marginal (not "complete"), so hopefully it's moved up to where it should be by now. Fingers crossed.
I've been feeling the little guy kick off and on throughout the day just about every day now since a few days after the ultrasound. It's a reassuring feeling... knowing that he's in there moving around. I'm sure the kicks won't be quite as "fun" as time goes by. I've heard a lot about babies kicking hard in the ribs and am not looking forward to that!
My mom threw me a baby shower today which went well. I only have a few friends in the area - mostly co-workers -, so it was a pretty small gathering. That's fine, though, as it was at her (my mom's) house... which is pretty small. I don't think we would have been very comfortable if there had been more than another person or two there!
She made all of the food vegetarian, and most of it was vegan. She tries so hard but doesn't always pay attention to the fine print of ingredients... so she overlooks the fact that it clearly states (for allergy purposes) that something contains eggs and/or milk. I think with everything, though, there were really only two things that weren't vegan - some veggie "chicken" patties and some cheese cubes that she had as an appetizer on skewers with some sugar-coated grapes. We made a veggie tray with baby carrots, grape tomatoes, cauliflower, and cucumbers... a fruit tray with strawberries, grapes, and kiwi... veggie burgers and chicken patties on buns... vegan herbed cream cheese and vegan herbed sour cream for crackers and the veggies... a black bean-corn-red pepper-mango salsa/salad... a tomato-green onion-cilantro salsa... and then had tortilla chips. I love color contrasts with food, so everything looked fabulous. I arranged the fruit and veggie trays and was quite pleased with how they looked. :P
My mom found a picture of a layered cake with strawberries and kiwi in the middle and on top with a whipped topping and tried her best to make it vegan using soy yogurt and blending in some powdered sugar. It didn't stay together very well... the soy yogurt was a lot softer than she had anticipated... but it tasted delicious! It was all so good and everyone was stuffed. (And now... hours later... I have horrible heartburn!) I'd post pictures, but we only used my mom's camera... so I'll have to post them whenever she sends them to me in an email.
I received a lot of items that were on my registry and several things that weren't but that are super-cute or that will come in handy as the baby grows. I ended up with two baby memory books - one from my mom that wasn't on my registry and one from one of my co-workers that was. So now I don't know what to do. I hate returning things that family got for me... but I really don't need two of basically the same thing. :/ Hmmmmm.
Dave's currently in Las Vegas with one of the guys for whom he works. The guy always wanted to go to Vegas, so his mom (who lives in California) paid for him and Dave to fly out there and meet them there. Dave's still working while he's there obviously (and more shifts than usual), but it's nice that he gets an all expenses paid trip to somewhere that he's never been. He's never had paid vacation time anywhere that he's worked ever since we've been together, so this is much deserved. They went to see Cirque du Soleil last night and were going to see Penn and Teller tonight. I guess their hotel is huge. Dave was telling me tonight that he got lost for about 25 minutes just in the hotel itself. :P
He said he bought the baby a little Las Vegas - well, Nevada - license plate with the name that we've pretty much chosen and stuck with so far - Jakob. Only apparently Dave didn't hear me (or wasn't paying attention is probably more like it!) when I told him that we'd spell it with a "k" rather than a "c" so that his name would at least be a little different... and so that when you shorten it to "Jake", the "k" is already there. I mean, really... doesn't it make more sense to spell it like that rather than to spell it with a "c" and have to change it to a "k" for the nickname?! I think so! :P So, he's going to see if he can find one with a "k" before he comes back home. It's so cute the way he's always thinking about the little guy. He's so excited at the thought of being a daddy. :)
It's been pretty hard living apart all of this time. It would have been nice to have Dave around more this summer when I was sick constantly, but it's going to be even more difficult over the next month or so as I get bigger and start having a harder time doing things normally. He's planning on moving up here in December (yes, the plans have changed once again), but I just want him here now. :( He wants to stay down there and work as long as he can so he can save up money, though. The job market is pretty slim, and I can't imagine it'll be any better around Christmastime. So, I guess I can understand. I just don't like it.
My dad decided to go ahead and sell the furniture that he had bought at auctions over the summer (in anticipation of us moving out of here), so there's some room in his "office" for the baby's crib and changing table. Now I just need to convince him to stay down in Phoenix for a year since certainly he wouldn't want to be awoken by a screaming/crying baby throughout the night every night next spring and summer (if he makes his annual trip back here for his six-month stay). :P You wouldn't want to wake up to that if you were 60+, would you?! Honestly, I didn't intend to still be here after our first year back from Seattle. And I definitely didn't intend to be here past this last summer when Dave and I had planned on moving into the little fixer-upper trailer that he had bought down in Carbondale. But the mesocyclone demolished that little idea... and our not-great credit scores prevented us from obtaining the home loan we were hoping for. Sigh. Life happens, though, right? It's so frustrating, though. I feel like such a loser living in my dad's house at my age... and with a baby on the way. Hopefully this will be the last year and then we can find our own place... SOMEWHERE!
I want to start posting more pictures on here, so I'll start with this one. This is me and the little guy a few weeks ago (at about 24 weeks, I think). I'm finally starting to show a little. One of the speech therapists at work had no clue I was even pregnant until someone told her the other day. She commented that it looked like I had lost weight... which I did and still haven't gained half of it back yet... so I told her about my "fun" summer of sickness. I've been trying to wear more actual maternity shirts so that I look pregnant rather than just my chubby old self. That helps a little.
Three more months exactly until my estimated due date... and that seems SO far away. I'm sure with work and the holidays and everything that the time will fly by, but I'm just so anxious for him to BE here. There's so much still to do and to think about, but I'm tired of waiting already! I know the last month is probably going to be the worst... especially since I'll be on winter break from school (work) and have nothing to think about except how much I want him out of my belly! I still need to talk with the human resources person at work and figure out how to set up my maternity leave and if/how I can use my vacation time and sick leave for part of it so that I'm not completely without a paycheck for however many months I decide to stay at home afterwards. I need to look into the labor and delivery class at the hospital, too, and sign Dave and myself up for one in November or December. Oooh... AND I need to see about getting WIC and state medical/health coverage for the little one. Because I really can't afford to put him on my insurance with what little I make. Urg. I'm such a procrastinator and hate having to be "responsible". Can't someone just do all of this FOR me?! :P
No comments:
Post a Comment