
Pre-baby days, I alway used to say that - if I had a boy - I would just let his hair grow out and let him decide if and when to cut it as he got older. J never had much hair when he was a baby, and it took a good year-and-a-half for it to grow long enough to even be worthy of a little trim. I did a little snipping last summer when it started hanging in his eyes (just because I couldn't stand it myself) and have trimmed it a couple times again since then. Just his "bangs" and then a little around his ears.
Summer's coming, though. And midwest summers are HOT. and HUMID. There's a picture I took last summer of J toddling around outside with a "mohawk" I gave him made possible only because of how much his face was sweating with all of the heat and humidity. :P It was time for Daddy's spring haircut, so we took J in, too.
He sat next to me in the waiting chairs watching the barbers snip and buzz away on the other men. He pointed at the piles of hair on the floor ("Mama... Mama... look hair.") and at the stray clippings that fell on the capes. Daddy hopped up for his turn; J watched and pointed and watched. His turn came, and I think we were more nervous FOR him than he was. I snapped a
couple of pictures and sat down while Daddy stood there and held J's hand. I think J probably would have been fine without the hand-holding, though. Sometimes, Daddy's still a little too overprotective. ;) In Daddy's defense, though, J *was* just sitting up on top of a box in the chair and was a little unsteady.He just sat still, though, and tried to follow
the barber's prompts to either look at me or look out the window at the cars and trucks passing by. No fussing... no hesitation... no apparent nervousness whatsoever. I was a little surprised with how well he did, but then again... J's a pretty mellow, easy-going kid - especially out in public. So far.The barber cut it quite a bit shorter than I was envisioning, but I'm sure it'll grow back pretty quick. Plus it will be even cooler for summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment