I bought Jacob a potty chair around his first birthday and introduced him to it shortly afterwards. He would go almost every time I sat him on it, but I was working full-time at that point and wasn't around to try to be consistent with it. Dave was home with him all day, but he wasn't up for that. I'm just thankful that he's been with me on cloth diapering from the day we started *that*.
Anyway...
Fast-forward to the beginning of June after my job at the elementary school dismissed for summer break. I started working with Jacob on pottying full-time beginning the first full week of break. I left his diapers on for the first week and got into a routine of taking him before and after every nap, before and after every meal, and probably about every twenty minutes or so when he was just playing around the house. (Just *writing* that sounds exhausting!) After the first day or so, he started making the connection and would say "Paaaah" and tap his pants when he had to go... or when he was wet. :P
During this first week, I took him shopping with me and he asked to go twice while sitting in the shopping cart. I was almost in disbelief, but he even held it and actually went on the big toilets! The next week we went out again, and he was wet THREE times without any indication whatsoever. Go figure. :P
I started having him "go commando" (no diaper, just pants) around the house starting with Week Two. Most days we would go through between five to eight pairs of pants or shorts. He had his first Dry-All-Day day last week (well, excluding naps, of course) and *almost* stays dry throughout the day every day now! Usually we have at least one accident daily (sometimes two) when he gets involved in playing and I get distracted with stuff around the house and forget to ask or take him.
I'm so proud of my little guy and proud of myself for starting this right away and sticking to it! Now I just have to hope that he doesn't start regressing as he grows and becomes more independent!
No comments:
Post a Comment